Barbados Variety

• wycombe1

1856 messages

United Kingdom

I recently purchased a Commonwealth collection and amongst the Barbados found a copy of the 1947 surcharge of ONE PENNY on 2d red. The E in 'ONE' is missing the middle bar.

I have not been able to find this variety in any of my catalogues so would greatly appreciate it if someone with better reference books than me can give me a catalogue number and the valuation quoted in that catalogue.

Scan attached - many thanks for looking and for any assistance.
  • moonstone

956 messages

United Kingdom

I recently purchased a Commonwealth collection and amongst the Barbados found a copy of the 1947 surcharge of ONE PENNY on 2d red. The E in 'ONE' is missing the middle bar.

I have not been able to find this variety in any of my catalogues so would greatly appreciate it if someone with better reference books than me can give me a catalogue number and the valuation quoted in that catalogue.

Scan attached - many thanks for looking and for any assistance.
    • Created on 14 Dec 2023 at 11:24
    Interesting that part of the upright of the E is also missing, but in a slight curve. I’d be tempted to say that it’s a transient flaw, caused by something like a piece of paper stopping the full overprint registering. I’d send the scan to Hugh Jefferies at Gibbons Stamp Monthly, he generally always comments on such items in his Catalogue Column.
  • wycombe1

1856 messages

United Kingdom

Thanks Moonstone.
    Since finding this flaw I have come across several others on this issue. It seems such flaws are fairly common.- though the one shown is the most clear I have seen.
  • moonstone

956 messages

United Kingdom

Thanks Moonstone.
    Since finding this flaw I have come across several others on this issue. It seems such flaws are fairly common.- though the one shown is the most clear I have seen.
    • Created on 15 Dec 2023 at 03:13
    Having had a chance to check my catalogues, I note that the SG Barbados & Windward Islands catalogue (2015 edition), prices & illustrates a 'broken E' flaw on this stamp (as well as a 'broken N' and a 'short Y')
    The E illustrated has the middle bar almost completely missing, a very small stub being left. Yours is a bit more extreme than that, but could be part of the same issue that caused the listed flaw.

The broken E catalogues at £70 mint, £110 used for the perf 14 stamp (SG 264d) and £140 mint, £225 used for the perf 13½x13 version (SG 264ed)

Sam
  • wycombe1

1856 messages

United Kingdom

Many thanks Sam

I do appreciate the time and effort in looking my flaw up and letting me have the information found.

If you are ever in the High Wycombe area and I'm not gallivanting around the Middle East or Africa I owe you a beer or two!!

Thanks again

Charles
  • moonstone

956 messages

United Kingdom

Many thanks Sam

I do appreciate the time and effort in looking my flaw up and letting me have the information found.

If you are ever in the High Wycombe area and I'm not gallivanting around the Middle East or Africa I owe you a beer or two!!

Thanks again

Charles
    • Created on 15 Dec 2023 at 18:58
    Cheers Charles,

I'll maybe have a chance to hold you to that!

reagrds
    Sam
  • richnoddystamps

201 messages

United Kingdom

Sadly this is NOT the flaw listed in SG...that broken E is in the word PENNY.
    I think the earlier assertion that this is a foreign object flaw is probably right. There is no mention of a broken E on ONE in Murray Payne, although they do state that this issue is riddled with flaws. MP show three flaws in their catalogue. The one missing from the SG catalogue is the short tail to Y variety.

Join the collectors community

Register Login