Perfin?

• dave43

277 messages

United Kingdom

Bit of a longshot this, but here goes: I bought some perfins, all on GB Edward 7 1d stamps, all postmarked (fairly clearly) Northampton 1907 and 1908. Most are (probably) fiscal and is thought are part of a die which reads in full "&Co" between lines of perforations, I think it was used to cross cheques (which were "open" at this time) you could cross cheques you sent out, what about incoming cheques, could you cross them? As such its not counted as a true perfin but with these were a few proper perfins identified as used by Church & Co, shoemakers of Northampton. Illustrated is what is thought to be part of the "&Co" die, it is an ampersand (&;) with some pins missing from the "tail" also I bought about 100 similar stamps from the same source, amongst them is the other stamp illustrated, not perfinned but it seems to have "69" stamped in the corner, why? Has anyone come across this before? Has anyone (a cheque collector?) got an impression of this die? I would have expected some "Co" perfins with similar postmarks but no, have you any? Another thing, was it the habit of the Northampton PO to give fairly clear CDS's at this time or is there some special reason they did this on these stamps? I spose I shoulda put this post under "Old Paper" as most cheques are listed under there but none are perforated.

As you can tell I'm a perfin collector, I wrote a bit on perfins a while back which Heloise put in the Delcampe mag, you'd do well to read it if you're selling perfins, they're all overpriced!
  • marier
    Closed account

1 message

United Kingdom

Hi dave43,

I wonder if you have been able to find anything more about this? It may not help but I have found myself in possession of the machine that creates the "& Co" perforations. It was indeed for crossing cheques but I have been unable to find out anything else about it. I can find no other photo of a similar machine online. I did manage to find a cheque for sale (dated 1897) with the & Co perforated into it.

Thanks
  • dave43

277 messages

United Kingdom

Are you a member of the Perfin Society? Our catalogue editor Roy Gault has a number of impressions of these m/c's but can't match these to my stamps, Maurice Harp who edits our Bulletin is looking into problem.
  • elainedeschamps

2 messages

Canada

Hi Dave43,
    I am a new member of Delcampe and new at stamp collecting. My uncle sent me 6 big boxes of stamps from all over the world. Well to make a story short, I fell in love with stamps :love: I am especially happy when I find a perfin stamp :veryhappy:. I set them all aside but I am not sure of how to catalogue them :help: Is it better to place them by country or by company? What do you suggest? How do I become a member of the Perfin collectors?
  • dave43

277 messages

United Kingdom

Hi Dave43,
    I am a new member of Delcampe and new at stamp collecting. My uncle sent me 6 big boxes of stamps from all over the world. Well to make a story short, I fell in love with stamps :love: I am especially happy when I find a perfin stamp :veryhappy:. I set them all aside but I am not sure of how to catalogue them :help: Is it better to place them by country or by company? What do you suggest? How do I become a member of the Perfin collectors?
    • Created on 22 Nov 2021 at 08:48
    Look on Perfin Society website, not sure there is a catalogue of Canada perfins, there must be!
  • elainedeschamps

2 messages

Canada

Look on Perfin Society website, not sure there is a catalogue of Canada perfins, there must be!
    • Created on 22 Nov 2021 at 15:08
    Thank you, I will check it out :coffee:
  • joulie

6181 messages

France

Hi.
    Many informations about canadian perfins here :
    Link (https)

Join the collectors community

Register Login