What's In Your Library ?

• davidchen
    Closed account

16 messages

United States

Speaking to thousands of collectors over the years. I have noticed there are several types of collectors. Some collectors preferred world wide or region. Some specialized certain countries. Some preferred topic and some preferred famous celebrity. Then, there are many preferred collecting certain era or certain period of time. A few collectors preferred collecting proof only and almost no one collect error only.

Looking at their collections always amazed me. It takes years to build a personal library. I also build a library. I collect Oceanic region because of my ancestor connection. I think collecting stuff is fun & challenging. It can also be relaxing. Looking at people's library & see their collection is always a pleasure. This leads me to a question for all everyone:

What are you collecting at the moment ?
  • worldphila

280 messages

Israel

Speaking to thousands of collectors over the years. I have noticed there are several types of collectors. Some collectors preferred world wide or region. Some specialized certain countries. Some preferred topic and some preferred famous celebrity. Then, there are many preferred collecting certain era or certain period of time. A few collectors preferred collecting proof only and almost no one collect error only.

Looking at their collections always amazed me. It takes years to build a personal library. I also build a library. I collect Oceanic region because of my ancestor connection. I think collecting stuff is fun & challenging. It can also be relaxing. Looking at people's library & see their collection is always a pleasure. This leads me to a question for all everyone:

What are you collecting at the moment ?
    • Created on Apr 15, 2023 at 7:32 AM
    My premier collection is world wide postal stationery.
    Some participation in national exhibitions. Not any more. It's too expensive to add much better iitems. Large silver medal was my higher medal. It was on India postal stationery.
    I have a very large accumulation of all kinds of philately.
    I try to sell some on Delcampe and some years ago on Ebay.
    I'm too old-84.
    There is a kind of new problem on Delcampe.
    When looking at the buyers FB's, you cann't see any more the purchased items or the name of the seller.
    For me it's a big problem. First I always like to add a free gift (prefered by the buyer) with the purchased item. Second before I could search more easily and find the buyers preferred items at other sellers.
    Any comments are appreciated.
  • martin52

1489 messages

Switzerland

My premier collection is world wide postal stationery.
    Some participation in national exhibitions. Not any more. It's too expensive to add much better iitems. Large silver medal was my higher medal. It was on India postal stationery.
    I have a very large accumulation of all kinds of philately.
    I try to sell some on Delcampe and some years ago on Ebay.
    I'm too old-84.
    There is a kind of new problem on Delcampe.
    When looking at the buyers FB's, you cann't see any more the purchased items or the name of the seller.
    For me it's a big problem. First I always like to add a free gift (prefered by the buyer) with the purchased item. Second before I could search more easily and find the buyers preferred items at other sellers.
    Any comments are appreciated.
    • Created on Apr 15, 2023 at 2:17 PM
    same limitation here with me - it all became very invisible, due to privacy protection.
    But (ironically said) THAT'S PROGRESS
    :dunno:
  • baltija

859 messages

Sweden

For the last 30+ years my main philatelic interest has been Latvia. Even though my collection is quite advanced, it still happens once in a while that I discover things that was unknown to me or never seen before.

The main reason why I am on Delcampe is mainly to discard of surplus items. Finding and buying missing items comes second.

The new anonymous feedback is fine with me. Fortunately, I have only experienced a couple of times that sellers want to enrich my already too voluminious storage with things that just needs to be discarded.
  • davidchen
    Closed account

16 messages

United States

You are right, I also can't see what buyer's purchase or items in the past. Data are kept secret for personal privacy. However, too much privacy can become disadvantage. It can leads to declining in stamp marketing & research .

Speaking about stamp hobby, I have noticed there has been a shift in collectors' library. Before, I used to see a lot of British & American stamp collection. However, in the turn of century (2000), the shift turned. I began to see a lot of topical collection in their library. Topics such as Animal, Airplanes & Olympics are very popular. I don't know if you all have noticed that, but I have noticed the trend globally.

Anyway, I'm just curious what people here are collecting in post Covid ERA ?
  • davidchen
    Closed account

16 messages

United States

A bizarre encounter with a fellow. I couldn't stop laughing that I wanted to share this with everyone here.
    I ran into this fellow at a stamp shop, he works there as a Salesman. Whenever I meet people at any hobby stores, the first question I ask is "What do you collect ?" He replied my question with a comical story. He told me he collect Stamps, but stopped because he got frustrated with a declining hobby. He later switched to FDC, but was a loner in his village because nobody collects FDC. He was often ridiculed for being with a dead hobby (FDC). Feeling depressed & embarrassed, he quit FDC and switched to Coins.
    As he build several coin collections over years, he slowly regained his confidence & his reputation with the villagers. Feeling on the top of the world, he went out to celebrate with his buddies. When he return home, the police were at his home. His home was burglarized & his coin collections were gone. He was crushed & feeling depressed again. He became the biggest laughing stock in the village when they learned that he didn't lock the back door on the evening of burglary....In desperate attempt to regain his confidence, he jumped back into coin collecting. Instead starting from scratch, he changed his strategy by purchasing several large coin collections quickly. His ego came back & regained respect from the villagers. Finally, his faith in this hobby was restored.
    However, he broke his bank account. The large purchase of coin collections has cost him financially. His wife threaten to divorce him. She gave him an ultimatum by making him choose "Wife or Hobby". His marriage was saved after been cursed & crucified. I listened his life story with amazement. Before leaving the stamp shop, I asked the Salesman again "What do you collect ?" He replied "I don't collect anything now, I just collect money" :fight3:
  • worldphila

280 messages

Israel

You are right, I also can't see what buyer's purchase or items in the past. Data are kept secret for personal privacy. However, too much privacy can become disadvantage. It can leads to declining in stamp marketing & research .

Speaking about stamp hobby, I have noticed there has been a shift in collectors' library. Before, I used to see a lot of British & American stamp collection. However, in the turn of century (2000), the shift turned. I began to see a lot of topical collection in their library. Topics such as Animal, Airplanes & Olympics are very popular. I don't know if you all have noticed that, but I have noticed the trend globally.

Anyway, I'm just curious what people here are collecting in post Covid ERA ?
    • Created on Apr 18, 2023 at 6:13 PM
    Simple, too general topic collection like animal, airplanes.... For many years the interesting collections have a topic story.
    First write a story and than search for stamps, covers and so on (prefered without FDC's).

Join the collectors community

Register Login