Soldiers to be indentified

• pistache

242 messages

Canada

Hi everyone,
    Who could identify the nationality of this group of soldiers? Any other information would be useful to me. Thanks in advance.
  • hindsight_hms

43 messages

Australia

Hi everyone,
    Who could identify the nationality of this group of soldiers? Any other information would be useful to me. Thanks in advance.
    • Created on 4 Apr 2020 at 20:56
    They look to be British Army uniforms, with most of the men being non-commissioned officers (NCOs), with the exception on the two officers in the middle of the front row, who are wearing Sam Browne belts (the ones with the diagonal belt across their shoulder). They group may have been on some form of Medics' course since many seem to have the Red Cross badge on the left sleeve. There are a couple of Scotsmen in the group. One of them is on the far right of the middle row is wearing the "tam 'o shanter" cap. The other is second but one to his right who is wearing a Glengarry cap. The members of the group are probably from various regiments. There may be other Commonwealth nationalities represented amongst them but you would need to be able to see their cap badges more clearly.
  • hindsight_hms

43 messages

Australia

They look to be British Army uniforms, with most of the men being non-commissioned officers (NCOs), with the exception on the two officers in the middle of the front row, who are wearing Sam Browne belts (the ones with the diagonal belt across their shoulder). They group may have been on some form of Medics' course since many seem to have the Red Cross badge on the left sleeve. There are a couple of Scotsmen in the group. One of them is on the far right of the middle row is wearing the "tam 'o shanter" cap. The other is second but one to his right who is wearing a Glengarry cap. The members of the group are probably from various regiments. There may be other Commonwealth nationalities represented amongst them but you would need to be able to see their cap badges more clearly.
    • Created on 5 Apr 2020 at 01:43
    I should also have mentioned I would guess it was taken c.WW1.
  • pistache

242 messages

Canada

Thank you very much for this information, which seems entirely logical to me. The postcard was given to me by a family whose a few members fought in the First World War. The Commonwealth country you are referring to is probably Canada, which was not yet independent from England at the time. Thanks again.

Join the collectors community

Register Login