Top Stores

• mainlypostcards
    3,441 messages
    United Kingdom
    Can we have an explanation about top store calculations, please.

This does not make sense.

My UK position last week were:
    Postcards: 8
    Old Paper: 7
    All Delcampe: 33

This week's positions with the change in brackets:

Postcards: 8 (-)
    Other Collections: 4 (+1)
    Old Paper: 5 (+2)
    All Delcampe: 33 (-)

How can I have gone up 1 place in Other Collections, when I haven's sold anything in those categories for ages and did not appear in the top shop list last week? Surely, that should be "new" in brackets?
  • moonstone
    775 messages
    United Kingdom
    You would have to assume others sold less than nothing :) :)

Seriously, in the way I think they do the calculation, I imagine someone else has added to the 'Other Collections' element of their store, and not sold anything ( or very little), thus making their items sold as a % of their items available for sale less than yours.

This might be totally wrong, but then again, as I have often said before, the calculation is a mystery to all mankind. ;)
  • mainlypostcards
    3,441 messages
    United Kingdom
    You would have to assume others sold less than nothing :) :)

Seriously, in the way I think they do the calculation, I imagine someone else has added to the 'Other Collections' element of their store, and not sold anything ( or very little), thus making their items sold as a % of their items available for sale less than yours.

This might be totally wrong, but then again, as I have often said before, the calculation is a mystery to all mankind. ;)
    • Created on 12 Feb 2018 at 06:36
    You missed the point (or I didn't make myself clear).

Last week I was not on the list for "Other Collections". Correctly so, because I hadn't sold anything for ages in that category.

This week I appear on there, because I have sold some items, BUT...........it tells me that I have gone up 1 place, rather than being a "new" seller on the list.

If I wasn't on it last week, I can not jump to a higher position than the week before!
  • moonstone
    775 messages
    United Kingdom
    Ah, apologies, I hadn't noticed that you weren't listed at all the previous week - perhaps you have gone up 1 place from sometime in the past when you last had something in this category? :dunno: :dunno:
  • xpto1963
    1 message
    Portugal
    :D
  • theczar
    206 messages
    Canada
    I have always had a real dislike for the system for calculating the ratings.To me a top store should reflect the total value of sales in a month,regardless of how many items are listed. I suppose a seller who has 1 item and sells it should be the top seller????
    I just ignore the ratings...they are totally misleading for buyers.
  • mjocovers
    358 messages
    United Kingdom
    I have always had a real dislike for the system for calculating the ratings.To me a top store should reflect the total value of sales in a month,regardless of how many items are listed. I suppose a seller who has 1 item and sells it should be the top seller????
    I just ignore the ratings...they are totally misleading for buyers.
    • Created on 15 Feb 2018 at 16:36
    I'm confused, are you saying someone who has 1000 items listed & only sells 1 item (for £200) should be ranked higher than someone who has 1000 items listed & sells 199 items (for £1 each)?
  • theczar
    206 messages
    Canada
    I'm confused, are you saying someone who has 1000 items listed & only sells 1 item (for £200) should be ranked higher than someone who has 1000 items listed & sells 199 items (for £1 each)?
    • Created on 15 Feb 2018 at 18:35
    As far as I know the rating is based on a percentage of items for sale and the amount of items sold.If you check the number of items sold in a 1 month period of some of the sellers in the 20th to 10th rankings you will be amazed how little the sales are.But because they have a small number of listings they can receive a higher ranking.My ranking is around 40th yet I outsell a lot more sellers ranked higher.Because I have more listings my ranking stays lower.The formula used does not give a true picture of top stores/sellers.
  • somersethedge
    410 messages
    United Kingdom
    I never even look at the tables... I am more intrested in how many (or more to the point lack of) sales I have here and I don't need a table to tell me that.

Join the collectors community

Register Login