Another one bites the dust

• baltija

852 Beiträge

Schweden

Today, I received a news letter from our national philatelic society. Top story is the implementation of digital notification of membership fees, and I quote: "In this way we can save postage and have a simpler administration". Well, it's an annual notification, so it means one letter less in my mailbox every year. But, anyway, it's sad that the only organisation that naturally should use postage stamps until the very end, surrenders with an economic argument. It's not like postage stamps are abolished by the postal service. The argument more likely is that we, as collectors, does not want to pay the price of using postage stamps. :(
  • martin52

1488 Beiträge

Schweiz

Today, I received a news letter from our national philatelic society. Top story is the implementation of digital notification of membership fees, and I quote: "In this way we can save postage and have a simpler administration". Well, it's an annual notification, so it means one letter less in my mailbox every year. But, anyway, it's sad that the only organisation that naturally should use postage stamps until the very end, surrenders with an economic argument. It's not like postage stamps are abolished by the postal service. The argument more likely is that we, as collectors, does not want to pay the price of using postage stamps. :(
    • Erstellt am 24.10.2021 um 06:30
    in my block, I am the only one, who gets letters with STAMPS (a rare species).
    Even the postal carriers know me well, because it's easy for them to sort out my mail.
    What a pity....but a sign of time
    :rules:
  • cassander_thucelius

1289 Beiträge

Deutschland

I get letters with stamps from some Delcampe sellers, but even some of those use these awful digital stamps. It's a pity.

Maybe some of the truly ugly recent German stamps (the Beethoven one comes to mind) were produced to lure the last remaining stamps fans away from using them...
  • baltija

852 Beiträge

Schweden

I get letters with stamps from some Delcampe sellers, but even some of those use these awful digital stamps. It's a pity.

Maybe some of the truly ugly recent German stamps (the Beethoven one comes to mind) were produced to lure the last remaining stamps fans away from using them...
    • Erstellt am 27.10.2021 um 09:31
    Many of the new stamps are created by unknown artists, sometimes the images seems to be stock photos that can be purchased very cheap. Anything to avoid royalties to notable artists.

Well, recently the Swedish post actually issued a beautiful small sheet (block) to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the notable bank note and postage stamp engraver Czesław Słania's birthday. Face value though is 100 SEK (~ €10) and the size is just somewhat smaller than a regular C6 letter. Few of these small sheets will be used for sending a letter.
  • praeteritum

435 Beiträge

Kanada

Many of the new stamps are created by unknown artists, sometimes the images seems to be stock photos that can be purchased very cheap. Anything to avoid royalties to notable artists.

Well, recently the Swedish post actually issued a beautiful small sheet (block) to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the notable bank note and postage stamp engraver Czesław Słania's birthday. Face value though is 100 SEK (~ €10) and the size is just somewhat smaller than a regular C6 letter. Few of these small sheets will be used for sending a letter.
    • Erstellt am 27.10.2021 um 09:45
    Hello,
    I also wish that stamp dealers would always use actual postage stamps when shipping my purchases...
    Personally, I always use colourful postage stamps when shipping stamps / covers to my buyers. I figure that because I deal in stamps, it is the least I can do...
    praeteritum....
    Link (https)
  • dave43

277 Beiträge

Vereinigtes Königreich

I'm sure the UK PO has it in for stamp collectors, only allowing us to use stamps in p eg since decimalisation ( decimation?) in 1971! Most other countries allow collectors to use any stamp.
    With the price of postage in UK, its difficult to make up the value, hence my use of NVI stamps,
    sorry
  • auctionmike1

28 Beiträge

Vereinigtes Königreich

I'm sure the UK PO has it in for stamp collectors, only allowing us to use stamps in p eg since decimalisation ( decimation?) in 1971! Most other countries allow collectors to use any stamp.
    With the price of postage in UK, its difficult to make up the value, hence my use of NVI stamps,
    sorry
    • Erstellt am 12.11.2021 um 13:44
    British people had just over a year to use up stock in hand of pre-decimal stamps. After that time only collectors would be expected to have any left, and if they had any it was because they were collectors and wanted to keep them. Tough.

The last pre-decimal commemoratives had a value of 1/6d, equivalent to 7.5p, so you would have to use at least 11 stamps per posting.

Most people alive in Britain today have no idea what pre-decimal money converted to after decimalisation.

There are so many arguements against this fatuous suggestion, that I give up at this point. Please, no more of these ridiculous suggestions.
  • jacobbrothers

7 Beiträge

Vereinigte Staaten

Anyone who still knows HOW to use a stamp should keep using them. I use commemorative stamps on almost everything I send out and lots of sellers send me my purchases in envelopes with beautiful stamps. I can almost make a collection just out of what it sent to me!

Werden Sie Mitglied der Sammler-Community!

Anmelden Einloggen